Clocks, Watches/hands not moving

Question
i have a seth thomas battery operated (2 c batteries) westminster-ave maria wall clock. it says german movement on face. the pendulum is moving but the hands will not move, even though i changed the batteries

Answer
Jennifer, the quartz movements have 3 functions which are time, pendulum and chime/strike.  The three are separate circuits and any of them can fail.  These movements are of the "throw away" products we see so many of these days.  Parts and diagnostic instructions are not available.  If a clockmaker works on it, the shop rate soon reaches or surpasses the cost of a replacement.  I have been able to work on a few successfully, but rarely do any more.  If you will send a photo of the back of the movement to my shop email address below, I will try to identify it and give you the names of some suppliers that might have the movement.  There are a few details in determining how to order the correct one and I will be glad to give you that information.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman