Clocks, Watches/Howard Miller G-father Clock Runs 10 Hours & Stops

I found your e-mail address on the Internet, so I hope you can answer my question. I have a new Howard Miller Grandfather Clock, their Hamlin model. Ive had it in my living room for just 4 days. I followed all of their setup directions, watched their setup video, and followed everything to the letter. The problem is...the clock stops after running for 8-10 hours. I have found HMs customer service sub-par thus far, so Id appreciate your input on this. The clock is level, and all packing material was properly removed. Any ideas?

Kelly Moffitt
Cottonwood, AZ

Kelly, something happened to my vacation status submission on Allexperts.  I am on a mission trip in Honduras drilling fresh water wells.  I will return on Monday, March 11 to answer your question.  I apologize for the delay and if you need a quicker answer. you can contact one of the other clock experts.  I will check when I return and answer your question if need be.

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)