Clocks, Watches/repair of small wooden mantel clock

Hello, and thank you for this site.

I have a small, wooden, mantel, quartz clock about 20 years old.  The hour hand has become loose and hangs by gravity straight down.
I thought I could take the clock apart and gently tighten that hand, but the only screws I find are two small ones on the back, which I removed, thinking the white plastic circle would then come loose.  It does not budge.  The only other screws are on the base of the clock.  It is no doubt not an expensive clock, but has great sentimental value as it was given by former students and has a brass plate on it expressing their appreciation.  The only identifying mark I can find is "Reflections."  Can you give me any help in getting this clock apart?  Thank you very much for your time.

Lois, there are many different designs on these quartz clocks.  It seems each one is a little different.  I almost have to see it to determine how to disassemble it.  Incidentally, I happen to have on in my shop that I still haven't figured out yet!  A lot of theses clocks are the throwaway and buy another products we see so much of now.  But many have sentimental value as you have pointed out.  The hour hand is a push on and it tightens as you push it on the hour tube.  I'm not sure what the two screws hold, but some of these have snaps (sometimes almost hidden) that can be opened with a small screwdriver.  If you will contact me at my shop email address and send a clear photo of the front of the clock and one of the back, I might be able to tell you something.  

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)