Clocks, Watches/Ridgeway Grandfather Won't Run

Inherited. Wasn't running when I picked it up. I had to re-install two of the chains (no problem). Everything is in place and in order. When I start the pendulum in motion it swings and tick-toks for about a minute, with the pendulum swinging in a straight line laterally, not figure-eighting, but after about a minute the pendulum faintly shivers, as if a gear has been obstructed by something inside, then comes to a halt. No matter how many times I repeat the process, the result is the same. Clock is perfectly level, on a concrete floor. The hands are free. The pendulum spring is intact and in proper working order. However, every time, there is that slight shudder in the pendulum and the tick-toking stops immediately, but can also be immediately re-started, with the same result. Any thoughts. Thanks, Scott

Urgos movement
Urgos movement  
The photo you supplied indicates there has been some degree of wear on the center arbor as indicated by the black sludge circled. There will be bearing wear on other pivots as well. The movement badly needs to be cleaned & overhauled and bushings installed to correct the wear that is present. As it is, there is not enough power getting through the train to keep the pendulum in motion, hence the symptom you observe.

Clocks, Watches

Steve Guthrie C.C.

A.W.C.I. Certified Clockmaker with 35 years of experience. I can answer clock repair or maintenance related questions. Please don't expect answers advising the use of bubble gum, bailing wire or WD-40. I only give advice that is meant to preserve your clock in the best possible condition, not make it worse. No questions regarding clock value or identification. I am not a collector and cannot do valuations. Visit my website at:

Clock repairman in the north Texas area for 35 years. Certification as a Clockmaker through the AWCI since 1986.

I was featured in an article by the Watch&Clock Review regarding my restoration of a tower clock for the Wise County courthouse in Decatur, Tx.

Certification as a clockmaker with the American Watchmakers/Clockmakers Institute since 1986.

General public,Six Flags Over Texas,Collin County,Tx.,Wise County,Tx.,Rapides Bank,Rapides Parrish,La.