Clocks, Watches/Seth Thomas 3 5/8 movement

Question
Hi John, your expertise has helped me greatly in the past so once again I seek your opinion. I just replaced both mainsprings in this movement and tried to mark reference points before dismantling.This is my first attempt with a chiming track and both mainsprings.With everything back in cleaned and oiled here is what I have. Runs,time track is moving,in beat and chiming on the hour as before. Adjusted the hammer strike to a nice tone on the hour. The half hour lifts the hammer up and drops but doesn't drop down far enough to strike the gong. If I adjust this to strike faintly then the hour strike is too hard and heavily muted.I'm not sure which cam I have a problem with so any advise is greatly appreciated.Best regards, Tony.

Answer
Tony, I apologize for the delay in my answer.  There seems to be a glitch in my answers getting through, as I answered your question yesterday and it has appeared again.  So maybe you didn't get it.

There are different types of strike/half hour strike arrangements.  I cannot immediately find the book that might have that movement in it.  However, I believe the cam or wire on the centershaft trips both the lever for the warning and strike of the hour and also the half hour lift and drop.  The hour strike is started by the trip, and the actual hour strike is actuated by the pins on the strike wheel.  The half hour is actuated by the cam or wire on the centershaft.  If you can send a clear photo of the strike trip arrangement, I might be able to visualize what is happening.  My shop email address is below. In the meantime I will continue to look for the book.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman