Clocks, Watches/Winding Problem

Question
I have a Ridgeway Grandfather Clock that is almost 20 years old.  Although I have moved it several times, I have never had any problems with it.  Yesterday when I went to wind it, the two side weights went up fine, but when I wound the middle one and took the key out, the weight completely dropped to the bottom after I had wound it up.  I then noticed that the clock didn't "make noise" as I wound it up.  That little clicking sound was missing as I wound.  I have checked the weight which seems to be OK.  I hope you can help me.  Thank you

Answer
Hi Marilyn

That clicking sound you hear is important. It is the click and click spring making sure a clock does not unwind.

One of two reasons it may not have worked:

It is sticky from old grease or oil and is not moving freely to do it's job. Best scenario.

It is broken and needs replacement. This may or may not be a difficult job depending on where the click and click spring are.

You will need professional help for this.

Hope this helps,
Marilyn
The Clocklady

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti