Clocks, Watches/Winding Problem

I have a Ridgeway Grandfather Clock that is almost 20 years old.  Although I have moved it several times, I have never had any problems with it.  Yesterday when I went to wind it, the two side weights went up fine, but when I wound the middle one and took the key out, the weight completely dropped to the bottom after I had wound it up.  I then noticed that the clock didn't "make noise" as I wound it up.  That little clicking sound was missing as I wound.  I have checked the weight which seems to be OK.  I hope you can help me.  Thank you

Hi Marilyn

That clicking sound you hear is important. It is the click and click spring making sure a clock does not unwind.

One of two reasons it may not have worked:

It is sticky from old grease or oil and is not moving freely to do it's job. Best scenario.

It is broken and needs replacement. This may or may not be a difficult job depending on where the click and click spring are.

You will need professional help for this.

Hope this helps,
The Clocklady

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti

This is for advice only. ~Most~ repairs need a professional. If I can help you with an adjustment that can set your clock back in order I will try. I can not write a chapter on clock repair. I will point you in the right direction and you will have to do your own research on how clocks work for more intense repairs. -No Watches -No Appraisals. Search ebay for past sales for that information.

29 years repair experience

Certified Horologist