Clocks, Watches/Broken bezel glass

Hi John-
I built the Emperor School Clock kit back in the 1970's or 80's and it has been working fine since then.  It uses the 8-day key-wound model 141M Emperor movement.  The hinge on the bezel came loose a few years ago and we finally dropped the entire bezel and broke the glass.

I would like to install a new bezel and glass and I'm wondering if it would make sense to replace the dial also.  I am also searching for a source for the necessary parts.  Can you give me some guidance on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Glenn, I will need the outside dimensions of the bezel.  Also I will need the dimension of the outside ring of the timetrack of the dial.  A photo of the front of the clock would help.  There were some of these Emperor (also other manufacturers such as Mason & Sullivan) wall clocks that used dials and bezels of certain sizes that are no longer manufactured.  It is possible that there are some NOS (New Old Stock) units still available.  I have a few different types.  If the bezel is intact it would be better to repair the hinge and replace the glass.  I see no reason that the dial should be replaced.  They were also of a different size and I have made a few by having dials of a little different size photographed and enlarged or reduced to match the original.  Then it has to be laminated and holes punched for the center and winding holes.  Please contact me at my shop email address with any of the above information and I will see what I can do.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)