Clocks, Watches/Emperor 300M Movement

Question
Thanks for all of your advice in the past regarding this clock. I have been able to get it running but very often, 2-3 days, it stops again; most times at 5 minutes before the hour. I have concluded that the movement just needs a professional cleaning and oiling to correct years of no oiling or improper oiling [by me regrettably]. I have been most reluctant to attempt removing this movement from the clock my father made 35 years ago but it is now time. Can you provide or direct me to a procedure which will tell me how to safely remove the 300M from the clock so I can take it to be serviced? Also, if you know of any link where I can locate a professional clock service in the Virginia Beach Virginia area to perform this service I would be most appreciative.  Howard

Answer
Howard, I do not know of any clockmakers in that area.  Have you looked in the Yellow Pages or on classified services such as Craig's list?  I have a good clockmaker friend that is in northern Virginia.  Not knowing the clock model itself, I can just guess on how to remove the movement.  The following is for the typical Emperor using the 300M movement which is the Jauch Pendel l10cm.  First remove the weights, pendulum and hands.  The back panel of the clocks would be removed next and then the chime board/chime block assembly.  If there is a plywood frame around the dial, it must be removed.  The board is fastened by two screws on the sides.  Then the movement mount frame (probably) or single seat board (maybe) would be removed out the back and the two screws holding the movement to the board would be removed and the movement separated from the frame or seat board.  Then to remove the dial, four tapered pins would be removed from the dial posts and the dial separated from the movement. It might be better to leave the dial attached to the movement, as it is a little difficult to align it when reassembling.  Leave it up to the clockmaker.  When reinstalling the movement, it will have to be aligned.  The chime and strike hammers will have to realigned with the rods, which is a little difficult.  Then the clock will have to be set "in-beat".  If a clockmaker is in your area, it might be best to let him do the removing and replacing of the movement.  I have had customers insist on doing it themselves to save a little money.  I would guarantee the work on the movement, but then would have to go out and set it up for them because they could not get it to work.

I hope this helps a little.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman