Clocks, Watches/Emperor Grandfather Cloclk with Pendell 110 movement

Pendulum and hangar
Pendulum and hangar  
I have always wanted a Grandfather clock and recently purchased one via Craig's List... A 1970's vintage emperor with the Jauch Pendell 110 movement. My problem is that I cannot keep the clock running after moving it to my home.

The original wood pendulum has been replaced with nice one but the hanging arrangement looks odd. I can send a picture if needed.

I have tried multiple attempts at beat-setting to no avail. The clock is level and beat adjustment simply yields the clock stopping on one side of the other within 1 minute.

I was told the clock was cleaned and oiled prior to my purchase. The movement runs like crazy with the pendulum off... So I'm guessing nothing is stuck. It looks like the hanging arrangement is custom for the pendulum. Soldering is evident.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

John, the pendulum has been modified.  The pendulum top hook has been adapted for a Hermle configuration and the hanger is a Hermle hanger.  I do not know how it fits on the Jauch movement as I can not see it.  However, I doubt that it is what is affecting the running of the clock, unless it is hung incorrectly.  Also, I am not sure how the beat adjustment has been done.  When in beat it should have an even tick tock.  If you will contact me at my shop email address I will send you some diagnostic steps for a clock that is not running.  Also, can you include a photo of the back of the movement with the pendulum hanging.  Seeing that the clock is 40 years old, it could be that there are some worn parts that are worn.  Was the clock cleaned and oiled by a professional?

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)