Clocks, Watches/franz hermie 340-020a

Question
can you adjust the volume on the chime and also when the chime sounds  eg. every 1/2 hour as opposed to every 15  minutes
regards Mary Doyon

Answer
Mary, there is no chime volume adjustment control on these movements.  We have sometimes changed the volume by forming the chime hammers closer to or further from the chime rods.  This adjustment is very limited, as too close will cause double striking or thudding, and too far away will result in intermittent striking.  Sometimes we have tried pads of different materials on the ends of the hammers and readjusted the clearance, but it isn't really too successful.

I do not quite understand the 2nd part of your question, "when the chime sounds eg. every 1/2 hour as opposed to every 15 minutes."  Are you referring to having it strike every half hour rather than other quarters, or is it something about the volume?

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Mary, most chiming clocks play the chime melody on the quarter hours and strike the hours on the hour.  The sequence cannot be changed.  The mechanism is designed so it only strikes after the chime has completed it's hour chime.  The ones that strike on the half hour and count out the hours are of a completely different design.

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman