Clocks, Watches/grandfather clock

I have a grandfather clock - gold sticker on the back says Hentschel's of Waterloo; inside movement reads 74, Mason & Sullivan Co.; N010JEWELS; MADE IN WEST GERMANY; UNADJUSTED;    451-050; 94 cm over 66.00
Can you tell me when this clock was made and if the movement came from West Germany and the clock itself was made in USA or Canada.

Barb, Hentschel's of Waterloo would be a well know clock company in Waterloo near Ontario.  I don't know where the case was actually made.  Mason and Sullivan was a clock supplier in Osterville, Massachusetts (on Cape Cod).   Hentshel's did manufacture clocks, that is, made cases and used mechanical components, dial, chime assemblies, weights, pendulums, etc from other companies.  This is the general practice of modern clock companies.  The 451 movement was manufactured by Hermle in West Germany.  They would put other clock companies names on the movements if the company purchased enough.  However, I don't know why Henschels would have bought movements from Mason and Sullivan when they could probably get them from Hermle.  It might have been that someone purchased a movement from Mason and Sullivan as a replacement later on.  Mason and Sullivan went out of business, I think in the late 1980's or the early 1990's, and I think their stock was bought by Woodcraft.  You can the date of the Hermle movement by the two digits above the Mason and Sullivan name.  "74" would be 1974.  In 1988 the changed to an alpha code.  "A" means 1988, "B" means 1989, etc.  I do not know when the clock itself was made.  I hope this helps a little.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)