Clocks, Watches/Pearl grandfather clock not winding

Question
The center cable will not wind, is there anything I can do before taking it back to a clock repair shop.

Answer
Richard, other than a part in the center wheel "binding", which is very rare, the cable has possibly been wound with the weight off the pulley.  With no weight the cable becomes slack on the cable drum and will either cross turns and jam or drop off the drum and wrap around the drum arbor (shaft).  Correcting this will require the services of an experienced clockmaker.  Sometimes the cable can be unwrapped, and if not damaged, cam be completely unwound and rewound properly.  Most of the time it will require the drum assemble to be removed to remove and replace the cable.  To do this the movement will have to be removed from the case.  Sorry I do not have a better answer for you.  If you think that the situation might be something else, contact me at my shop email address below and I'll be glad to call you or you can call me to discuss it.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman