Clocks, Watches/Ridgeway Pendulum Leader

I bought a Ridgeway Grandfather clock the Pendulum Leader is missing.  It is part #68 on the parts list, also the model number is: 451-050 H  Pearl Grandfather Clocks, 114cm  with the number 60 under it.  Also one of the weights has the hook missing. The hook screws into the weight, can this be replaced?  Thanks,  Donna Jean

Donna, there were a few different leaders used on the 451 movements.  Is it possible for you to send a clear photo of the back of the movement to my shop email address below?  I can look at it to determine the correct leader.  Also, can you send a photo of one of the remaining hooks?  If it actually screws into a threaded hole in the weight I do have one.  If it is the type that screws on a threaded rod, there were a couple of different types used and they had different styles and threads.  I might have to ask you to send one of the hooks to confirm one that would fit.  Just checking, but did you look thoroughly in the bottom of the clock case for the missing hook (and maybe the leader)?

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)