Clocks, Watches/Daneker "The Govenor"

My wife has received a Daneker "The Govenor" clock from My mother-in-laws posessions. We have no info on the operations of this clock and were wondering if there are manuals or directions we can get to be able to correctly set up the clock and have it in operation.Is there a normal placement of model and serial number?

Fred, I believe "The Governor" is a floor clock with an Urgos movement.  The Urgos movements have an identification number starting with something like UW66------. This is usually found on the lower left corner of the back movement plate.  If you can give me the information found on the back of the plate, or send a clear photo of the complete front of the clock and one of the back of the movement, I might be able to identify it and help you find some information on the set up and operation.  My email address is below.  It might be generic, but most clocks fall into the general range of information.  I believe Daneker used Mauthe movements in most of their clocks, mainly floor clocks.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)