Clocks, Watches/Forestville Mantel Clock

Question
Forestville Clock
Forestville Clock  
My clock has three port for winding the clock.  I'm assuming that the ports over the number 4 and the number 8 are for the time and chime.  What does the port over the number 6 control?

Answer
Jeff, as you face the clock, the left winding arbor is for the strike, the center is for the time and the right one is for the chime.  All should be wound until they are tight.  The right mainspring will be a little harder to wind as it is stronger.  You cannot overwind a clock unless you over force it.  It doesn't matter what sequence you use.  The clock is called an 8-day and should be wound every 7 days.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman