Clocks, Watches/Gilbert Kitchen Clock

QUESTION: Clock runs fast & I've adjusted the nut at the bottom of pendulum as low as it will go to make it swing slower & still is fast at more than 5 minutes per day.  Is there a way to make an adjustment for this?  Also, sometimes the half hour will ring at 20 after the hour & then the hour chimes at the half hour???  It doesn't do this always; but does occasionally. Hoping it'something I can fix??? clock repair service in this vicinity.  Thanks....

ANSWER: 1) did it ever keep good time for you?

2) is the minute hand loose? what hold it on? has it been taken off a some time?

3) do gears turn and whirr when it does the one bong for the half hour or just bong?

QUESTION: Clock did keep fairly good time when I first got it; a bit fast.  The minute hand is not loose.  It is held on with a washer & pin (not sure of correct names).  The hands and face have been taken off and the clock works have been oiled.  Gears do turn and whirr when it rings on the half hour.  My first mistake was probably buying this clock on e-Bay....but I loved the case and write up said it kept great time???  I bought another Gilbert pendulum to try on it but it "wobbles" and won't stay running??? The pendulum that came with it also wobbles at times??  I have 10 other antique clocks that keep quite good time.  Thanks for your advice and help........Cheryl

These clocks have a "count wheel " striking system. Once tripped at the 1/2 or the hour it strikes the next thing on the wheel--either the 1/2 hour or the hour and always one more strike for the hour than it did previously. So it is 100% predictable with your eyes closed what # it will strike as you run the minute hand around clockwise.
  You can move the minute hand WHILE IT IS STRIKING. So if it is doing the hour at the #6 --then while it is striking , just move the minute hand to a few minutes after the #12. This will sync the 1/2 and the hour to the right place.
   To get the hour striking the right # just move the hour hand to the # that the clock is striking (if moving it loosens the hour hand and moves it away from the dial- just push it back towards the dial with your finger nail- it is just friction fit on the tapered handshaft and nothing turns inside the movement when you move it - unlike the minute hand which is pinned or nutted to the shaft and trips things internally as it goes around.  

Clocks, Watches

Kenneth Saunders

any mechanical clock question -no watches- no battery clock questions and no appraisals-ie: "how much is my clock worth?" type questions please! Attach a photo if possible and note all markings on the rear of the mechanism- thanks 40 years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner

43+ years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner.

Comment - On a scale of 1-10, I would give Mr. Saunders a 15 on each category. His responses were clear, addressed my questions and concerns in a way that even I could understand, and even sent a picture. He explained what I had and how to resolve the issue. I was amazed at how quickly he replied to each on my e mails. He shouldn't get a gold star, he should get a whole box of them!!! Thank you Mr. Saunders, I will keep you on my e-mail "speed dial". Comment - Ken answered my question regarding how to adjust the proper striking of the hammers on my Grandfather clock within a few minutes of my sending the question to him. He answered my follow-up question the next morning. I would rate him higher if there was a number larger than ten in the selection box. Thanks again Ken Comment - I RECEIVED AN ANSWER WITHIN AN HOUR.OUTSTANDING SERVICE.YOUR RATING SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN 10. Comment - This Man is Fantastic...there is no Scale for a him...if there was...He'd beat the top of Smile....I could never ask for more ....this Man is his Score....