Clocks, Watches/howard miller grandfather clock

Question
this is the problem for my left weight. Itís not dropping at all how do lower the weight to get rid of problem?
If your clock is a cable driven clock and was previously run, it is possible that the cables were not wound up with the weights left on the pulley. When this happens, the cables overlap on the drum. Check the cables on the drums to see if they are overlapped.

Answer
Michael, I don't know the model of the movement, so I will give you some general information.  First, is there a lever on the left side of the dial near the "9" which includes silent and strike positions?  If there is, make sure it is on the strike position and not the silent.  If this is not the case, and if possible, look in the left side of the clock.  You might be able to see the cable drum and determine if the cables are overlapped.  Sometimes you can pull down on the weight SLIGHTLY to see if you can overcome the friction of the overlapped cables.  This would be done when the strike function is ready to run, just after the chime completed its hourly tune.  I am a little hesitant to suggest this, as some clock owners pull too hard and break something.  The other cause could be internal and an experienced clockmaker would have to look at it.  Let me know what you find.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman