Clocks, Watches/Pearl grandfather clock won't wind

Question
QUESTION: I recently had my Pearl grandfather clock serviced because the center cable wrapped around the arbor. After spending $200 dollars, the clock still will not wind. A new cable was installed and the weight is at the bottom and will not wind up, what can I do...besides bringing it back for him to keep for months again.

ANSWER: Richard, the reason for a cable driven clock not winding is that the winding arbor bushing is frozen (rather unlikely) or the cable has jumped off the cable drum and has wrapped around the arbor, as was your first problem.  This is caused by the cable becoming loose.  The way it becomes loose is by removing the weight.  Most modern production clocks have a plastic drum cover which keeps the cable on the drum.  However, sometimes the turns of the cable become crossed and jam.  A cable should never be wound without some tension straight down on the pulley.  I don't know if the clockmaker left the cable unwound and this happened the first time you tried to wind it, or you have wound the clock a few times before this happened again.  Did the clockmaker instruct you on all of this?  And I will have to ask, are you trying to wind it in the wrong direction?  It does happen.

AND!!!, I just about forgot.  If it was jammed the first time you tried it and the above suggestions are okay, it could be that the "stop works" gears were installed incorrectly.  The stop works is a set of two steel gears on the winding arbors at the front of the movement (behind the dial).  The purpose of these gears is to stop the winding at the top so the weights are not jammed into the frame and also so the weights stop before the hit the bottom of the clock case.  If the stop works gears were installed incorrectly, they could be stopping the winding before it starts.  It is easy for a clockmaker to install them in the wrong orientation so they do not do the job that was intended.  I will have to say that I have to bed very careful when I do this, as I have doe it before.  Fortunately I have always caught it before the clock left the shop.  And I do test the clocks serviced for a couple of winding runs before returning them to the customer.

If this happened with one of my customers, I would discuss it with them as to whether I had instructed them on winding cables with no tension on them.  If I had, and they did not follow what I had told them, I would consider an additional charge for the rework. If the stop works mechanism was installed incorrectly, I certainly would not charge the customer for correcting it.

I hope this helps a little and if you have any more questions, get back with me.  Let me know what you find.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Pearl Clock
Pearl Clock  
QUESTION: The shop owner told me to check the cable first and hang the weight. The cable was fine and has a plastic cover over the drum. I did wind in the right direction. For some reason he wound the right and left drums but left the middle all the way down.

Answer
Richard, I not quite sure I understand the sequence.  You say he wound the left and right weights but not the time weight, gave it to you that way, and the center weight weight will not wind?  If this in not the case, let me know.  If that is the case, I would ask him to resolve it.

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman