Clocks, Watches/Solar brand Anniversary Clock

Question
Solar Brand Clock
Solar Brand Clock  

Solar Brand Clock
Solar Brand Clock  
Hi, John!  Got another clock question for you.  Just bought a Solar brand Anniverary Clock made in Germany.  Everything appears to be clean and intact but the pendulum stops rotating after about a minute.  I've made sure that the clock is level by adjusting the screws on the legs of the clock and the pendulum is hanging directly over the lock hole in the base of the clock.  The clock seems to be fully wound (key met resistance when I started to wind, so I'm assuming it's fully wound).  Any ideas as to what else I can try to get the pendulum to rotate?

Answer
Jeff, I have never heard of the "Solar" brand name, but that's not unusual in that different small clock companies would have a number of clocks made for them with their name on them.  There were only a couple of manufacturers of these movements since the middle of the 1900's, Kundo and Schatz.  As far as I know, neither of these companies are actively manufacturing these clocks at this time.  The anniversary clocks available now are the battery types.

Anniversary clocks are very delicate in the makeup of their parts and the adjustments.  Many clockmakers will not work on them because they don't have the proper books or experience.  And then when the customer takes them home, they are not set up correctly and/or bumped enough to knock them out of order.  As the clock mechanism runs so slow, we almost never have to replace moving parts.  The problems are usually associated with the suspension spring, and it has to be of the correct size and material.  They vary in thicknesses of one ten thousandth of an inch.   We have to use setup charts for assembling a suspension spring assembly with the upper and lower blocks and the fork.  Then we use a special tool used to bring the movement into an even beat.  To get it running, a clockmaker would disassemble the complete movement, clean with the proper solutions, reassemble and use the proper lubricants and adjust.  Then sometimes they still don't work and we have to start all over again, trying to diagnose the problem.

If I could suggest anything for you to do I surely would.  But you have done everything that an anniversary clock owner should do.  Sorry I did not have a better answer for you.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman