Clocks, Watches/Harris & Mallow quartz clock movement replacement

Question
QUESTION: I have a Harris & Mallow wall clock that has stopped working.  The battery used to last a long time (maybe a year or more), but over the last year or so, the clock would stop working maybe as often as once a month. Id replace the battery and it would be okay again for a while, seemed to keep time, but then it would stop again.  The most recent time it stopped, I changed the battery but this time the clock didnt start again.  

I dont have an instruction booklet or parts list for the clock and Im hoping you can help me find a suitable replacement for the clock movement.

This is a simple clock, there is no pendulum and no chime. The words "VERICHRON" and "QUARTZ" are printed on the face of the clock.  The hour hand is about 4 long, the minute hand is about 2.5 and the second hand is about 6 long.  The movement, marked "HM-54-Lo" uses a single AA battery for power.  DO you know where I might find a replacement movement?  Would it have the part number HM-54-Lo or is there a cross reference to a different part number that would work for this?

ANSWER: Hi Joan,

There are many replacement quartz movements.
Here is a good website that gives directions for measuring the movement you have taken out.
You will need these measurements to purchase the new movement for your clock.
http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-428__sku-Helpful%20hint%20-%20hand%20shaft%

I know that this site also sells movements so if you have any questions you can call them and they can help you with the correct movement.
http://www.klockit.com/depts/QuartzTimeOnlyMovementsfeaturingQuartexBrand/dept-1

You will also need to know what "type" of hands you have.
Are they "I" shaped? That means; is there a hand nut holding on the minute hand?
If so you will need a movement that has an "I" shaft. If you look carefully at the center of the minute hand you will see an "I" shape when you remove the hand.

Are they "push on" hands?
This means does the minute hand just pull off? Does it have a round center rather than the "I" shaped center?

Personally I like quartz movements that do NOT tick. The tick....tick....tick... drives me crazy. I love the tick..tock of a mechanical clock, but not the tick of a quartz.
The silent ones are called a "Sweep second hand" movement. I can live with these.
The ticking ones are called a "step second hand" movement.

The first thing you need to do is to remove the old movement so you can take these measurements. Most quartz clocks come out and go in the same way.
http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-428__sku-Helpful%20Hint%20-%20movement.html

Carefully look at the case to see if any glass has to come off before you can access the hands to take the movement out.

Hope this helps,
Marilyn
The Clocklady
www.theclockladyli.com

Clock face 2
Clock face 2  
Clock face
Clock face  
QUESTION: Marilyn,
I'm trying to remove the old clock movement to determine the size I need for replacement.  I was able to remove the second hand by pulling it straight off, then I removed a nut to remove the minute hand, now I am down to the hour hand and I'm not sure if it pulls off or if there is a small nut I need to spin off or if there is something else I need to do. Part of the shaft does look bigger, but I'm not sure if it is a nut, I tried to pull the hour hand straight up, but I didn't get it off.  I didn't want to get too rough with it since I'm not sure if it will lift off or if I need to turn something.  If it does lift off, do you have any helpful hints?  I'm attaching a couple of images so you can see what I'm looking at.

ANSWER: Hi Joan,

You have an "I" shaft movement. Notice the "I" shape in the middle of the minute hand.
The hour hand pulls off. It's just a circle the pushes on to the hand shaft.
Under the hour hand is another nut. That nut holds the movement in place onto the clock dial.
You need to take that nut off. Some of them are hex nuts others are round that have a slot in the middle.
You can use a needle nose pliers to get the hex nut off. The slotted ones are a PITA. You need a screw driver and you need to be careful you don't damage the dial.

Sometimes the movement is stuck on the back of the dial with two sided tape. Sometimes it's not.

Take one thing at a time and you can get back to me as you need to.

After this you may be my competition ;>)

Marilyn
The Clocklady

QUESTION: I'm getting closer, but I'm not quite there.  Actually, I have a new movement in the clock and it is running and keeping time, but without the secondhand.

I'd like to put the secondhand back on, but I'm having trouble with that.  When I removed the secondhand from the old movement, only the hand with a hole in the center came off, the remaining nut which I had to unscrew to remove, had a raised peg (I can't think of another was to describe it)that was painted red just like the secondhand, so the hand snapped onto it. This nut seems to have internal female threads, and on the old movement, the nut slipped onto a male shaft that doesn't have threads that I can see at the tip, but when I push the nut down a bit while turning,that nut threads onto the shaft. On the new movement, this old nut will fit and slip onto the shaft, but it doesn't seem to have threads on that male shaft (at least I can't make it grab to thread on), and there isn't enough friction to hold it in.  The nut that came with the new movement doesn't have that little peg sticking up (like the red painted peg on the old movement that the hole in the hand snapped onto.  Right now I'm using the cap that came with the new movement (if you don't use a secondhand).  It seems that the new movement needs a secondhand with an integrated part that slips onto the movement.  I don't know if this makes sense or not. I've attached two images showing the secondhand and the nut (one from the top of the nut, one from the bottom).  Do you have any words of wisdom for me?

Answer
Hi Joan,
The photos didn't show. You can email me the photos at mazzy50@gmail.com

Second hands are tough for new movements. Sometimes they fit, other times they do not fit.

I think you are saying the the nut that holds the minute hand on is a "cap" rather than it having a hole in the center to allow the second hand to push in.

Many times they send two hand nuts with the movement. One is a cap type, the other has the hole in the center.

Email me the photos so I can get a better idea.

Marilyn  

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti