Clocks, Watches/New England Clock

Question
clock
clock  
John,
I own this clock below<
-New England Regulator 14-day gong calender clock no. ne271G
It needs to be hung "out of Plumb" in order for it to beat right, so im told.

Q- how do i fix, or find appropriate new movent for this model?
The clock has not been running for 10 yrs.
Q- Also, how do i wind it? It was giving to me, and i have no instructions, except for tag inside about making it run faster or slower. THANK YOU so much, I really appreciate any help.

Answer
Tom, since it is a 14-day clock, I know of a Hermle movement that is this type.  The first clock I ever built was a school house clock with a Hermle 14-day movement.  I believe the model is a 141-040.  If the movement is the type I think it is, it is wound clockwise.  The winding arbor on the right is for the time and the one on the left is for the strike.  If I remember correctly, each mainspring takes about 12 turns from completely wound down to filly wound up.  Just wind it until you feel an abrupt resistance.  You cannot overwind a clock unless you really put some strength in it and break something or bend the key.  

The general rule when a clock leaves the factory or a clock repair shop is that it should be plumb and be in beat, like, tick....tock....tick....tock.  If it goes tick..tock......tick..tock, it is out of beat and will stop.  Of course you can tilt the clock to one side or the other to put it in beat.  If it is too far out and doesn't look good, the verge needs to be adjusted.  It's a little difficult to explain, but once you get it it is easy and you'll never forget.  The pendulum hangs on a hanger which is loosely mated with the crutch, which is part of the verge assembly.  To adjust it you slip the crutch one way or the other to put it in beat.  This can be done from the back, but then you have to put it back on the wall and it can get out of beat again.  The way I would suggest is to set the clock on the wall so it is plumb.  One tip is to make a small mark on the wall next to the side of the clock near the bottom.  This is so if the clock gets knocked out of plumb, you can put it back on the mark and it will be plumb again.  To set the beat, first start the pendulum and listen for the tick tock.  If it is out of beat, substitute "left....right....left....right" for the tick tock.  If it goes, left..right......left..right, gently hold the pendulum bob against the right side of the case.  Carefully push the upper part of the pendulum stick toward the right and see if you can feel it slip a little.  If it goes too far, it will sound like, right..left......right..left.  Now you have to reverse what you just did and push it to the left.  Repeat this until you hear an even beat.  It will take a few tries.  It does me!

All of the above will work if the clock movement is in good working condition.  If there are other things wrong, like gummy lubricants and/or worn parts, it will need to be serviced.  I recommend that clocks be serviced every 7 to 10 years.  If the clock needs servicing, let me know the area in which you live and I'll check to see if any of the members of our Internet Clocksmiths Group are near you.  Other than that, I can check to see exactly what type of movement you have and where you might be able to have it serviced or replaced.  Contact me at my shop email address below and I'll be able to give you more information, and also if you have trouble getting it in beat.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman