Clocks, Watches/Quartz Clock Movement

What is your price for a replacement battery operated Quarts Crystal movement unit used on my "J.D. Bassett, 1922, Virginia" wall clock.

The part number on the movement is HD-1688 Sheng Bang, Quartz, No (o) jewels unadjusted

The movement is held in place by a nut on a inch shaft; the threaded part of the mounting shaft is approximately inch long.  

The minute hand is pressed onto the plastic movement shaft; a small screw like item is then pressed into the center of the plastic shaft.  

The overall length of the minute hand is approximately 11 inches.

The measurement of the minute hand from mounting hole to tip is approximately 9 inches.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Don, thank you for all the information on the clock movement.  Unfortunately, the specifications for these clock movements vary and I can't be sure the hands would fit the movement.  If you could send a clear photo of the movement to me, I might be able to give you a little more  information.  My shop email address is below.  If this is a time only movement, the replacement would be rather simple and similar hands could be ordered.  Go to and look at their Online catalog.  You might be able to see a similar movement and they do come with a free pair of hands.  Since your minute hand is longer than the normal, the pair is probably available for a small charge.  Also, I would order a "High Torque" movement for that length of hand.  But go ahead and send me a photo and we can go from there.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)