Clocks, Watches/Chime block

Chime block1
Chime block1  

Chime block 2
Chime block 2  
I have a broken chime block and need to buy a new one but afraid of buying the wrong one. It has 12 rods, the longest is 25 in. Long. It is a side hammer and the chimes are strait, not in a v pattern. The manufacturer is unknown but has some numbers stamped on the block. Looks just like this.
         B 12 2 / 20
         Thanks, Scott

Scott, you can order chime block assemblies from clock suppliers such as Timesavers, Merritts Antiques, Ronnel and Black Forest Imports.  They can be found by Googling their names and most of them have On-line catalogs.  You did not mention the model of the movement you have.  That is necessary, as some (very few) movements have a reverse order of the chime rods.  Generally, the shortest rod on the chime side is nearest the mounting surface of the block.  The standard size of the longest rod of most of these is around 26 inches and that would not make a difference as long as the longest rod does not interfere with anything.  Another factor is that the replacement assemblies the suppliers have don't always match the original as far as mounting hole locations and slight size variations.  I have discussed this with their buyers and they say that they are at the mercy of the manufacturers and have to take what they have.  In rare cases they will not adapt to the configuration of your clock.  The alternative is to remove the chime rods and replace them with a new set.  Generally, a complete set of rods should be replaced, for better tuning and the possibility that some of the remaining ones could be stressed and break off as did the ones that are broken.  It is best to have a clockmaker do this as they have the proper tools to remove and install them.  I do have some blocks that look like one might match yours, but I will need to know the make and model of the movement.  That information can be found on the back plate of the movement.  If you will send than information to my email address (below), along with the dimensions of the mounting hole locations, I will be glad to see what I have or tell you what number to order from a supplier.  I also can give you some more details.  I am on a short vacation for a few days, but should return Monday or Tuesday of next week to get the information.  I will have my laptop with me, so go ahead and email me.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)