Clocks, Watches/Mantle clock

Question
Image 1
Image 1  
Hi Marilyn,

I purchased a mantle clock several years from a work colleague and would like to know more about when and where it was made.
The clock case is wood and the face looks tin with black numbers.
On the right of the clock face is a switch with three settings "SILENT, WHITTGT & WESTM." and three points where a key is inserted for winding.
There are no manufacture markings on the outside except the number 448 written in marker pen underneath, which would suggest maybe it's been through an auction.

Opening up the back door reveals the following:

In the middle is the word "Kienzle" stamped above a flying clock.
Below the clock is the word "Foreign" and below that are the initials "B T"
To the right is stamped "12cm" and underneath that is "190,66"

I have searched the internet trying to find more information but with little success other than it was made in Germany.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Mr Carpenter
Staffordshire
England

Answer
Hello Mr. Carpenter,

It's a little tough to give you as much information that you want without a lot of research.

Here is a link to the history of Kienzle clock company.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kienzle_Uhren

Thanks for the photo. It tells me some things that I just know from clock experience.

The dark oak wood tells me it's on the older side. Perhaps the turn of the century give or take..

I also know that a clock that has ~only~ Whittington and Westminster chimes are rare. The newer clocks have 3 chimes, Whittington, St. Michaels, and Westminster chime. Some clocks have the Winchester chime rather than the Whittington. Having only two of these chimes is rare. I have a clock like this and I couldn't find any trade marks on mine. Maybe mine is a Kienzle???? My chime silent switch in on top, not on the side.

Here is another link that may help you identify the trade mark and give you a better time frame for when the clock was made.
http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/labelstrademarks.php?lm=Kienzle

You have a beautiful clock. Good luck with your search finding a clock like yours. You will have to go through many websites and different search engines to find one.

Hope this helps,
Marilyn
The Clocklady
www.theclockladyli.com  

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti