Clocks, Watches/reidgeway grandfather clock minute hand not moving correctly

I recently bought a 1980's ridgeway clock with a UW 66005 movement. I have no idea on its history.  Initially it ran really fast, like 67 beats per minute, gaining hours per day, so I concluded it had the wrong length pendulum. So I extended the pendulum by about 4 inches and now it beats exactly 60 per minute and the second hand stays synchronized with other clocks all day long.

But the minute hand loses about 4 minutes per hour. I have noticed there is a slip gear on the minute hand shaft that isolates it from the escapement mechanism while setting the clock. Is it possible it is slipping an not permitting the minute hand from getting it's full push every second, thus not making the full trip around in an hour?

As a point of interest, when I first go this clock when I moved the minute hand, the second hand would spin around quickly.

I originally thought the hand was falling back (from gravity) as it climbed from 30 to 60 minutes, but it loses time equally between 0 and 30 minutes and between 30 and 60 minutes.

Chiming still seems synched with he minute hands, (eg when it points to 15, 30 45) so the entire mechanism is failing to advance.

Any ideas?

Urgos movements like yours are notorious for having the teeth on the escape wheels wear to the point that the pendulum barely swings and finally it skips teeth and the clock speeds up to the point that lowering the pendulum bopb will no longer compensate.

proper repair is to replace the escape wheel. a job for a pro, as the movement needs to be taken apart and the part replaced.

sometimes the wear can be adjusted for on a one-time move that will last a while.

the back suspension post for the pendulum also has the hole in it for the rear end of the verge--sometimes by loosening the two external screws holding it, it can be lowered so the verge is moved closer to the escape wheel teeth and thus make the engagement proper again.
Best done with movement out of the clock.

you can in fact have a loose motion works tension washer as well, permitting the minute hand to slip and not be driven properly--again normally a job for a pro to repair.

Clocks, Watches

Kenneth Saunders

any mechanical clock question -no watches- no battery clock questions and no appraisals-ie: "how much is my clock worth?" type questions please! Attach a photo if possible and note all markings on the rear of the mechanism- thanks 40 years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner

43+ years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner.

Comment - On a scale of 1-10, I would give Mr. Saunders a 15 on each category. His responses were clear, addressed my questions and concerns in a way that even I could understand, and even sent a picture. He explained what I had and how to resolve the issue. I was amazed at how quickly he replied to each on my e mails. He shouldn't get a gold star, he should get a whole box of them!!! Thank you Mr. Saunders, I will keep you on my e-mail "speed dial". Comment - Ken answered my question regarding how to adjust the proper striking of the hammers on my Grandfather clock within a few minutes of my sending the question to him. He answered my follow-up question the next morning. I would rate him higher if there was a number larger than ten in the selection box. Thanks again Ken Comment - I RECEIVED AN ANSWER WITHIN AN HOUR.OUTSTANDING SERVICE.YOUR RATING SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN 10. Comment - This Man is Fantastic...there is no Scale for a him...if there was...He'd beat the top of Smile....I could never ask for more ....this Man is his Score....