Clocks, Watches/age of ridgeway grandfather clock

I have recently been given a Ridgeway grandfather clock in excellent condition and would like to know the age and if I need to have extra insurance on this. The model number is #162 and the serial number is #91676, movement-E. I believe it dates from the mid 70's but haven't seen any like it on E-bay ect. to nail it down. I have tried Ridgeway web site and quite a few others but have hit all dead ends. I don't know if this model number has a name or not. any info you can give me would be appreciated thanks  jim

Jim, I do not have any information on the 3 digit model numbers of the Ridgeway clocks.  The catalogs I have are from the time that they went to 4 digit numbers.  Also, the Ridgeway Technical Specs Manual I have goes back to 1997 and I believe it was the last one they published.  All the movement codes in that manual have two characters rather than one.  I would not think that you would need special insurance on this clock.  You might want to look at an On-line auction site such as eBay to see what the clocks similar to yours are going for.  Instead of looking at the "Buy Now" prices, go to the "Completed Listings" and that will give you an idea of the value of your clock.  In my explanation of why I do not give values over the Internet, I state that the factors for determining the value of what I call a "modern production clock", mainly after WWII, are the original selling price (not advertised price), age, condition of the movement and case, and particularly the demand and economy of the area in which you live.  In my area I will buy these clocks at estate sales (usually the second day at 1/2 price) for $250-$350.  Then I will touch up the case and service the movement and sell it for $750 to $1000 depending on how much work had to be done to it, sometimes replacing the movement with a new one.

I hope this helps a little.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)