Clocks, Watches/alaron clock not working, doesn't keep time

Question
My husband and I received an Alaron clock as a wedding gift back in 1982. It stopped working many years ago, and now I would like to get it repaired. May I mail you the movement part to see if it can be repaired? Model No. C-27. Thank You for your time!
Arlette

Answer
Arlette, your Alaron clock is an Asian 31-day clock.  These clocks are rather inexpensive, and when they start wearing out, it takes quite a bit or restoration work to bring it back up to reliable working order.  There are a lot of clockmakers that do not want to work on them for the reason that they have to do so much to restore them, or the customer doesn't want to put that much into it.  Then there are some that have the work done because of sentimental value.  I have run across and worked on some that have been in good condition, but very few.  One of the solutions that I do quite often, as other clockmakers do is to convert it to a quality chiming quartz chiming movement.  Usually the only modification to the clock case is to cut and make a removable panel in the back for access to the movement and to mount the speaker.  I have even done some by installing hinges on the board that the movement is attached to so it can be swung out to change settings or replace the batteries. When finished, you cannot tell that the clock has been modified.  The main purpose of the Allexperts forum is for free advice.  If someone does ask of a service or for parts, I try to suggest someone in your local area first.  If you don't have anyone near you or are looking for parts that the suppliers don't normally carry, then I ask you to contact me at my shop email address.  I would prefer not to work on one of these that was not a local job because I like to discuss settng them up with the customer.  But contact me at my shop email address below for any questions I have about the above and I will be glad to give you any additional details.  Thanks for contacting me.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)

Clocks, Watches

John Newman