Clocks, Watches/Escapement

Question
This long clocks stops.  Has been cleaned and oiled.  The movement has a short tooth escape wheel.  The escape lever is mounted in a rubber hub.  Very low friction is observed between the escape wheel shaft and the lever.  

Should there be considerable friction?  The adjustment does not seem to hold.  What is the solution for the slipping?

What is the procedure to adjust the escapement?

Movement IDs  UI32700D   1403019  URG Made in West Gemany
No Jewels Unadjusted.

Case is Howard Mill Clock Co.  Serial 199732

Weights Two each @10-lbs.  One weight @ 7.4-lbs. Driving the time.

David Webb

Answer
Another thing that I thought of. If the verge isn't in the escapement teeth far enough the pendulum will not have a good swing. The pendulum will be going back and forth too fast and that will make the clock run fast. It will also make it super sensitive and the clock can stop.

If this is the case you will have to move the verge a milimeter closer to the escapement wheel. There are two screws on the back plate holding the verge in place You may have to lower that.

Marilyn

Try a longer suspension spring. That will lower the pendulum length. Lower = Slower.

Marilyn

Hi David,

Those short tooth escapement wheels are self setting for the beat of the clock. Just a good push of the pendulum allows the verge to slip a bit into the escapement wheel until the beat is set.

Sometimes the verge is the problem. It slips so the clock doesn't stay in beat. You could try to put some glue on the top of the verge. If you can get the clock in beat, an even sounding tick...tock...tick...tock..., then put some super glue on the top of the verge. The verge is squished between some rubber washers. If you can glue it so it doesn't slip you may be able to get the clock in beat enough to run.

Usually the heavier two weights drive the chime and the time. The lighter weight is on the strike. Try changing the weights. If the clock has a moon dial it may need the extra weight on the time train. If the clock has a Lyre pendulum it needs the heavier weight on the time.

If the pivot holes have excessive wear that could cause the gears to push too far away from one another and that could cause the clock to stop.

Sometimes after a cleaning (if the clock is not disassembled and the pivot holes pegged out)  the dirt really isn't removed from the pivot holes or the shoulders of the gears against the inside plates. This could cause the clock to stop.
Make sure the shoulders of the pivots are free from dirt. If not use a paint brush with synthetic bristles (so no hairs come loose) and clean out those holes and shoulders of the pivots. If you have some contact cleaner that may be enough of a grease solvent to get the dirt out. Usually contact cleaner dries too fast and it just hardens the dirt. If the clock has had oil applied and has already been cleaned that dirt may be loose enough for this to rid the pivots of dirt.

If all else fails you may want to consult a professional or buy an new movement for the clock if the movement is over 20 years old.

Let me know what you discover as you look into this more. Try changing the weights first.

Marilyn
The Clocklady
www.theclockladyli.com  

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti