Clocks, Watches/ansonia Gold Medallion Triple chime regulator wall clock

Question
Can you adjust the chimes louder? My Mom can barely hear them.

Answer
Pam, I apologize for the delay in my answer.  Mechanical clock chimes have very little adjustments on volume.  The chime hammers are adjusted for maximum volume as they hit the rods.  If they are any closer they will make a thudding sound or double strike.  If they are too far away the sound volume will be intermittent.  There are other factors such as wear on the mechanism that lifts the hammers to allow them to drop.  This is usually random and is not necessarily consistent with with all hammers.  Chime hammer adjustment usually has to be done by an experienced clockmaker.  For the request of increasing the volume on older clocks with leather hammer pads, one technique I use is to apply some type of hard drying adhesive like super glue to the pads to harden them.  However, I believe that the hammer pads on your Ansonia are the nylon type and this cannot be done.  The chime rod assembly is attached to the clock case by screws and sometimes they become a little loose.  Tightening them improves the sound quality and volume.  I will have to say that I do receive a number of complaints about sound volume from people whose hearing has diminished over the years.  Actually, I am experiencing this myself.  I'm afraid there is not too much that can be done in this case.  I'm sorry I don't have a definite answer for you, but I hope it helps a little.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman