Clocks, Watches/kassel wall clock chimes

Question
QUESTION: Hi-I have a wall clock,when it's 6, it will say so, but only chime twice.  This continues for 24 hours.  Can it be fixed-how??

ANSWER: Jack, the only Kassel wall clocks I am familiar with are the Asian 31-day clocks, although some have been listed as 15-day.  I need a little clarification on your explanation.  Does it only strike twice at 6, and if not, are the other hours off at all?  Also, you say that it continues for 24 hours.  Does this mean that it strikes twice at 6 twice a day and then it strikes okay for other days?  Let me know and I'll try to determine what might be wrong.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvilliage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: John-my wall clock chimes24 times/day (hours & half-hours) with half-hours correctly, but with hours being four hours slow though the clock shows the correct time.  At 2:00 it chimes 10 times-t's crazy, thanks for your help...Jack

Answer
Jack, so what you are saying is that the strike is off 4 hours the time consistently.  I had suggested that this clock might be an Asian 31-day (sometimes identified as 30 or 32 day).  These clocks usually have hour hands that are keyed into the hour tube, which is the part on which the hour hand is pushed.  If it is not the Asian clock or the key tab has been broken, then the hand can be slipped around to correct it.  The way to do this is to run turn the minute hand around until the hour strikes.  Count the number of strikes and slip the hour hand to that hour.  Then use the minute hand to set the clock to the correct time of day.  That should do it.  Most clocks have ah hour hand that slips.  Let me know how it works out and if you have any more questions, get back with me.

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman