Clocks, Watches/Urgos 301M

Question
Hi John,

I've got an Urgos 301M chain movement in Emperor case that I assembled in 1978.

Everything is original except replaced spring, and I sent movement to Emperor abt 15 or so years ago for cleaning and rebushing.

Clock was stopping frequently, so I removed and washed movement with ammonia/acetone solution (found on a web site) and blew dry with warm air, then oiled with clock oil. After that it ran fine for a few months.

Now The clock runs fast, even with bob all the way down, and seems to be running faster and faster with no adjusting, gaining abt 15 minutes/day.

Any ideas?

Answer
Bob, check to see if the clock stops repeatedly when the minute hand is in the same position.  There is an inherent problem with this Urgos movement called the 2nd time wheel bushing.  The 2nd wheel (gear) is located to the left of the larger wheel on the centershaft.  The bushing (hole in the plate in which the arbor {shaft} rotates), wears causing the wheels to jam.  As all wheels will be slightly out of round, normal for all clocks, the wear creeps up and this is what causes the stopping usually at the same place.  The reason for this is that the 2nd wheel runs right off the chain wheel and a lot of pressure causes the bushing to wear.  A few years ago I installed a new bushing and it wore in a few months.  I corrected it by using a harder bushing.  However, there is now a new system of ball bearings available.  There is one particularly made for the Urgos 2nd wheel.  If you will reply to my email shop address below, I will send you some photos of the Urgos and the installation of this bearing.  I have made up a jig to guide the special drill, as it requires quite a bit of precision alignment to position the hole.  The movement has to be completely disassembled to do this job, as is required for any proper rebushing.  I recommend that only an experienced clockmaker do this work.  When you contact me I can give you some more details.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvilliage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.

Bob, sorry I did not answer the 2nd part of your question. If the pendulum, hanger, suspension spring are all in order, it sounds like the escapement might be skipping teeth.  This is a rather critical adjustment, as one way it can jam and bend teeth, and the other way it can run away and damage the whole escape wheel.  When you email me would it be possible for you to include a clear photo of the back of the movement showing the pendulum hanging assembly sown to the pendulum top hook?

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman