Clocks, Watches/Viking Grandfather Clock 790-800 series

I recently became the owner of this Viking Grandfather clock. the Viking 790-800 series. From what i can tell it has a Hermel moon phase  movement.
I can not find any information about this clock in any google search.I would appreciate anything you might know, including any links you might have for more on line information, what it's age might be, what kind of wood it is and what the value of this clock would be.
thank you, Beth

Beth, there is very little information available on Viking clocks.  Viking was one of the companies that followed Emperor Clock Company in Baldwin County, Alabama.  Emperor was located in Fairhope and Viking in Foley.  Viking was connected with Vulcan Sign Company.  There is a good chance that the green road signs you see were manufactured by Vulcan.  There are no more clock manufacturers in Baldwin County.  Most, including Viking ceased manufacturing clocks and Emperor is now a subsidiary of Hermle North America, located in Amherst, Virginia.  The only information I would have on your clock would be about the movement, of which I would have the installation and maintenance manual.  I would need to know the model of the movement (information found on the back plate of the movement) for the proper manual.  I cannot verify the clock from your photo, but the Hermle movement would probably be a 451-050 (known as a grandmother movement) series for a single Westminster chime or an 1151 if it is a triple chime model.  If it is a grandfather movement it would be a different series but there weren't using too many chain driven grandfather movements at that time.  If you will contact me at my email address below with the information found on the back plate of the movement, I will let you know if I have a manual for the movement and the details.  The age would probably be from the mid-1980's to early 1990's.  In the field of information showing the movement feature numbers, there should be a two digit number on the first line.  This would be the last two numbers of the year it was manufactured.  An "86' would mean that it was manufactured in 1986.  In 1988 the started with Alpha characters, so "A" would mean the year 1988, etc.  From your photo I cannot identify the wood, but it looks like it might be oak.  If it is not solid oak, it could be poplar, alder or linden.  From my information on the Allexperts page you will see that I do not give values of clocks.  However, I usually make the statement that the value of your clock would depend on the selling (not advertised) price of you clock when it was new, the age, condition of the movement and case, and most importantly, the demand for that type of clock and economy in the area in which it would be sold.  I would look on an On-line auction site such as eBay for completed listings (not asking prices) for a similar clocks.  I will say that in my area I will buy these at estate sales, yard sales, etc for $150 to $250, touch up the cases, replace any damaged or blemished components, recondition or replace the movement and sell them for about twice what I paid and give a warranty.  I know I haven't answered all your questions fully, but I hope I have given you some information to go on.  When you contact me we'll see if we can come up with a little more.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow ups.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)