Clocks, Watches/weights and chains

Question
I have a grandfather clock.it dose not have any chains or weights...this is whats on back of it. 461-053 h    94cm  66.00   I don't know what size of weights or chains that I need for it can you help...thank you Brenda

Answer
Brenda, the Hermle 461 movement is not seen in clocks too often in comparison to others.  It is a grandfather movement with chain drive and the plates are about 6 X 9 inches. The weights on it are from left to right (as you face the clock), 5.5#, 5.5# and 7.7#.  Sometimes the numbers are a little difficult to read, so I will give you the weights requirements for the more popular 451 movement, the Hermle 451 which is about 6 X 6 inches. The left and center weights are 4.7# and the right weight is 6.6#.  The diameter of the 451 weights is a little smaller than the 461.  It is a little difficult to find the complete sets from suppliers already made up, so reply to my shop email address below and I will try to find some for you.  Verify which movement you have so we can be sure.  I can then give you all the details.  The chains are a little easier to find.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama 36067

klokdok@juno.com

Note: Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions and follow ups in a timely manner, and the workload at my shop, I am unable to answer individual email questions immediately.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman