Clocks, Watches/Adjusting the chime on Seth Thomas clock

My Seth Thomas triple movement clock chime is off, I believe by one note.  It starts the chime about one note late every time (every 15 minutes) it strikes.  I don't know how it got off and don't know how to adjust it.  It appears that the spindle with the cam drives needs to be turned, but I don't know if that is possible or how to do it.

Hi Ron,

Yes, the cam does have to be rotated a bit. All clocks are different but usually there are wheels on the back of the clock that move the music roller bar. One if them has a set screw that holds it on the arbor. You will need to study the way it works and find that gear. If it's a newer clock it is usually the highest gear on the back plate. Loosen the set screw and hold the rest of the gears so they don't move. Then move the roller bar to the correct position. On all of the first quarters for each chime the hammers move in a row. Like 1,2, 3, 4, 5 ,6 ,7 ,8. one after the other. The end of the 3rd quarter it does that sequence again.

Tighten the set screw.

Here is a photo of the back plate. That top gear has the set screw.

Hope this helps,
The Clocklady

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti

This is for advice only. ~Most~ repairs need a professional. If I can help you with an adjustment that can set your clock back in order I will try. I can not write a chapter on clock repair. I will point you in the right direction and you will have to do your own research on how clocks work for more intense repairs. -No Watches -No Appraisals. Search ebay for past sales for that information.

29 years repair experience

Certified Horologist