Clocks, Watches/John bennett clock

Question
John bennett clock
John bennett clock  

John bennett clock
John bennett clock  
Hi got a john bennett bracket clock all ok apart from when it gets to strike the hour it rings the hour and then chimes sometimes at the same time. It is a westminster chime and Whittington chime chimes on the quarter and as I said previously  rings the hour then chimes should be chimes then the hour strikes any help would  be appreciated thanks in advance Clive.

Answer
Clive, that is a nice clock you have.  You are correct that on the hour the clock should complete it's hourly chime and THEN strike the hour with the proper count.  Not seeing the movement I don't know the exact mechanism that controls this, but on most of the chiming/striking clocks the hour trip is dependent on the chime completing it's hour function and then it trips the hour function, therefore the strike cannot work during the chime cycle.  Evidently the hour trip mechanism is not holding the hour release and both happen at the same time.  I would not be able to help you on this, as it would probably require the services of an experienced clockmaker to diagnose and correct the problem.  If you do not know of one, let me know the area in which you live and I will be glad to see if I have a listing from my database that I could suggest.  If you will, reply to my email address and I will get back to you.  I do have a couple of UK contacts listed.  This is because I keep my Internet contacts confidential and it also helps free up my Allexperts question queue, as it is limited to a number of questions per day.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman