Clocks, Watches/Seth Thomas mantle clock will not keep running

Question
Back of clock
Back of clock  

Front of clock
Front of clock  
I have an antique Seth Thomas mantle clock. We have had issues with it for the past few months off and on with it stopping.  I thought perhaps it had been overwound.  As of today, I cannot get it to keep running more than a few minutes at a time, even though I know it is wound.  I can get the pendulum to start swinging, but it seems like occasionally the ticking will get very quiet or make an unusual sound and then it starts ticking normally again.  Eventually it stops completely.  Sometimes it will only run for about a minute; at most, five minutes. Any idea what could be wrong?

Answer
yes it is wound up as shown.

the back photo shows a bent paperclip or wire attached to the gong base and hooked into the movement. This is not factory set up and might be causing a problem?

beyond that it might need oiling or overhaul

is the ticking, "even" sounding left to right as you watch it ticking through the back door?  

Clocks, Watches

Kenneth Saunders