Clocks, Watches/click springs

Question
John,I have a Seth Thomas Mantle clock with a 113A movement.I had it cleaned ,It also needed new click springs.The shop owner said he had trouble finding the click springs,so he could not make the repair,he said I needed heavy duty click springs because of the heavy duty springs in this movement.Do you know were I can find the click springs I need? Thank You Marlein Wolak

Answer
Marlein, I have worked on quite a few ST 113 movements.  Just to be clear, did the shop owner mean click springs and not clicks?  The reason I ask is that the clicksprings are to hold the clicks reliably in the teeth of the ratchet wheel. Basically they have nothing to do with the strength of the mainsprings.  And are all springs failing?  As far as I know, the click springs can be found from clock suppliers like, Timesavers, Merritts, Black Forest Imports, R&M Imports, Mile High, etc.  Without having a clickspring in my hand to compare, I cannot be sure, but examples would be Timesavers part numbers 16691, 16694, etc.  Let me know if he meant clicksprings or clicks and if he has checked with the suppliers.  In the meantime I will check with my Internet Clocksmiths members if they can offer anything in addition to what I have indicated.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman