Clocks, Watches/Elgin Anniversary clock

Question
I am having a hard time finding an instruction manual for a glass domed Elgin Anniversary clock.  I need to know how to set the clock and was told by one person that the Elgin was not like other anniversary clocks and was dangerous? was not told how to set it but just to wear gloves and a face protection when setting it?? I was also told the Elgin anniversary clock were not good?
it is gold with a glass dome, no leveling feet on the bottom of the clock.  has a winding knob sticking out of the back and a long handled gold handle with a black knob on the end that fits over the knob at the back.  there is the wheel in the middle with an arrow engraved on it.

Answer
Sarah, there was an anniversary clock made for Elgin by S. Haller.  Your clock may be one of these.  Some clockmakers call it the "German time bomb" as if the mainspring breaks it can destroy the clock and break the glass. This can occasionally on its own, as can happen with any spring powered movement.  The biggest occurrence is when it is serviced by someone that is inexperienced in the proper procedures of this particular clock it.  If you will Google Elgin German Time Bomb, you will find plenty of information on the clock, including precautions and photos of a destroyed clock.  While I was researching this I found a Website that included a copy of the instructions, but cannot find it right now.  I also "think" I have a copy of the instructions at my shop, but it will take a while to find it when I return to my shop next week.  I will continue to try to locate the Website and let you know.  If I cannot find it I will ask you to send an email to my shop email address and get you a copy.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman