Clocks, Watches/Grandfather clock

Hi , I have a modern , 12 year old clock ,  I found the middle weight on the floor , first link of chain broken how do I get it back on the cogs, the movement is a inter clock . Hope u can help .

Chain Installation Tool.JPG
Chain Installation Too  
Sonny, sorry for the delay in my answer.  I am not sure of what you mean by "the movement is a inter clock".  It is possible that you clock is the same as others in that the chain can be reinstalled in the same way.  It involves removing the "pull tab" from the chain and threading it over the sprocket wheel, using a wire tool I developed that I have on the computer at my shop.  You can make it out of coat hanger wire.  I will be going by there this afternoon and send you another answer with a photo of it.  The pendulum and weights should first be removed.  The chain is put on the end of the tool and lifted up over the sprocket wheel as the sprocket wheel is turned with small screwdriver.  This has to be done from the bottom of the movement.  I call it the "backbreaker", because of the position you have to get into to see what you are doing.  When the end of the chain comes out far enough to grab, pull the chain down and reattach the pull tab.  I will get back to you later.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Attached is a photo of the wire tool for reinstalling the chain, and the procedure that goes along with it, similar to above. If you don't get the photo, email me at and I will reply with the photo.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)