Clocks, Watches/Harrington Houe Grandfather Clock

QUESTION: Is there any possibly to get the small nut which holds the hands on the clock?  I've attempted to purchase locally. At this time I've had no luck. Can you help or direct me to where I might be able to get this

ANSWER: Darlene, the movement in your clock is German and the hand nut has a metric thread.  These are special nuts and I have never found any readily available outside the clock suppliers.  I do have the nuts  or can suggest a supplier, but would need to know the manufacturer and model of the movement to identify the nut.  Please look on the back plate of the movement and give me the information you find.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: Info found:
Kieninger - made in Germany
MO (0) Jewels unadjusted

The only supplier I use that lists the Kieninger hand nuts is Timesavers (you can Google them and look at their On-line catalog)  Their phone number is 800.552.1520.  The other suppliers, Google clock parts suppliers) have metric assortments, but I cannot verify that they would fit the Kieninger grandfather clock.  Timesavers part number is 18733.  Their price is $11.50 for an assortment + a $3.50 handling charge + shipping.  I do have individual hand nuts, but a minimum order which wold be a little less.  I do not discuss prices and sales on Allexperts, but if you want to contact me, my shop email address is below.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)