Clocks, Watches/Howard Miller Mantel Clock

When I go to wind my main spring,i can do about four turns and I can hear and feel something slipping,so I can't get a full wind up.The clock will run for about three to four days. Everything else works well. Thank You.Stanley Wolak

Stanley, the mainsprings are attached at both ends.  Each end has a hole in it which attaches to a hook, one on the winding arbor (shaft) and the other on a tab or rivet on the barrel.  Either one of the tabs is not holding or the mainspring has broken at the hole or in another place.  Friction is holding it just enough for a few winds before slipping.  The barrel will have to be removed from the movement and the mainspring will have to be taken out of the barrel.  The proper repair will have to be made or either the mainspring or barrel will have to be replaced.  I very seldom replace a barrel without also replacing the mainspring if it is original.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)