Clocks, Watches/Howard Miller Mantel Clock

Question
When I go to wind my main spring,i can do about four turns and I can hear and feel something slipping,so I can't get a full wind up.The clock will run for about three to four days. Everything else works well. Thank You.Stanley Wolak

Answer
Stanley, the mainsprings are attached at both ends.  Each end has a hole in it which attaches to a hook, one on the winding arbor (shaft) and the other on a tab or rivet on the barrel.  Either one of the tabs is not holding or the mainspring has broken at the hole or in another place.  Friction is holding it just enough for a few winds before slipping.  The barrel will have to be removed from the movement and the mainspring will have to be taken out of the barrel.  The proper repair will have to be made or either the mainspring or barrel will have to be replaced.  I very seldom replace a barrel without also replacing the mainspring if it is original.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman