Clocks, Watches/Waltham regulator wall clock.

Can I make muffle the hour ringer on my clock?  It rings, but a bit too loudly.

Tom, I would imagine that your clock is an Asian 31 day (or one month clock).  I have diminished the strike sound on clocks by applying a felt pad or soft material to the strike hammer.  The adjustment of a strike hammer is made so it hits the gong hard enough to be reliable and not so close that it thuds or double-strikes.  When you add a pad or material to a strike hammer it will reduce the clearance between it an the gong, so the hammer will have to be adjusted by forming the wire away from the gong for the proper sound.  As with me, this is a trial procedure where I have used different materials and adjustments.  I hope this helps a little.  Good luck and if you have any further questions, get back with me.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clocks Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)