Clocks, Watches/Waltham regulator wall clock.

Question
Can I make muffle the hour ringer on my clock?  It rings, but a bit too loudly.

Answer
Tom, I would imagine that your clock is an Asian 31 day (or one month clock).  I have diminished the strike sound on clocks by applying a felt pad or soft material to the strike hammer.  The adjustment of a strike hammer is made so it hits the gong hard enough to be reliable and not so close that it thuds or double-strikes.  When you add a pad or material to a strike hammer it will reduce the clearance between it an the gong, so the hammer will have to be adjusted by forming the wire away from the gong for the proper sound.  As with me, this is a trial procedure where I have used different materials and adjustments.  I hope this helps a little.  Good luck and if you have any further questions, get back with me.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Vintage Emperor Clocks Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman