Clocks, Watches/Getting a Warmink Moon Phase mantle clock started

Question
Hello John;

My mother passed away recently and today I picked up a few of her cherished belongings, including this delicate Warmink Moon Phase mantle Clock, that always chimed beautifully in her home.  She had not wound it up for some time (at least a month) during which time the clock sat idle.  When I arrived home today, I carefully wound up both slots, and set the time allowing the bell to chime at each stop.  To my great disappointment however, the clock did not automatically start up. Is there something that needs to be done after winding the clock?  The markings on the back are UW20/8, and below that is the number 95796.  I sincerely hope you can help me with this mystery!

Kind regards,
Jacqueline

Answer
Jacqueline, I know the clock is sentimental to you.  Let's see if we can get it going.  First, look in the back of the clock.  Does it have a pendulum with a bob (round disk) that swings back and forth?  If it does, gently push it to one side, and if everything is in order it should start running.  Thanks for noting the movement model. I am actually on vacation this week but am still answering my emails.  Because I am away from my shop I don't have access to my technical information as far as movement configuration is concerned.  It is possible that your clock could have a balance wheel regulator instead of a pendulum, and that would indicate further diagnostics.  When a clock is moved, the pendulum should be removed to protect the suspension spring from damage or knocking the clock out of beat. If the clock doesn't start running, get back to me and we'll see what we can do.  And so I can check if everything is in order, can you open the back door and take a digital photo of the back of the movement and send it to my shop email address below?  

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Vintage Emperor Clocks Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)

email: klokdok@juno.com

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman