Clocks, Watches/Centenial Parlor Clock - over winded?

Question
I just bought this beautiful clock on a yard sales for one dollar, tick tack or pendulum stops after a few seconds; I think is over winded. Is that possible? Chime works really good.
Thanks in advance

Answer
Gabrilo, the clocks I see with the name Centenial are usually the Asian 31 day wall clocks.  Generally, winding a clock until it won't wind anymore means that it is fully wound and that will not cause it to stop.  Sometimes someone will bring in a clock with a bent key or something has snapped and broken because of being grossly overwound.  I do not think this the case with your clock.  Do make sure that you are winding in the correct direction.  In trying to wind in the wrong direction, it will not move at all and some think i might be overwound. I am not at my shop to look at any, but I believe that the right winding arbor winds counterclockwise and the left one winds clockwise.  If it is the opposite I will let you know.  Also, some of these have arrows around the winding arbor holes that indicate the correct way to wind.  Another thing to check is that if the clock is in beat.  If it is wound and goes tick tock, it should go, tick....tock....tick....tock.  If it goes tick..tock.....tick..tock, it is out of beat and will stop.  If this is happening, gently move the bottom of the clock to the left or right until you hear an even beat. If this doesn't work, contact me at my shop email address below and I can give you instructions on how to remove the hands, dial and I will tell you what to look for or request a photo of the front of the movement.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Vintage Emperor Clocks Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)

klokdok@juno.com

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman