Clocks, Watches/Emperor 101 High Pallet Bridge

Hello John,

The movement on my grandfather clock stops after one minute. I have followed the troubleshooting instructions which came with the clock.  I've put a new suspension spring on which hasn't made any difference to the running.

I've removed the strike and chime train weights and with the time train and pendulum still on, it will only work for approximately one minute again.

Can you please let me know if you can think of anything else I could try.

With thanks, James

James, I am on vacation & signed off Allexperts but it did not take. In remote area of Honduras and cannot probably until next week. Will be glad to answer then, but if you want please contact another e
xpert. John newman

James, I am in a hotel tonight with Internet service.  If the suspensions spring was not damaged, that would not be the problem.  Make sure the hanger is attached properly to the suspension spring and the hanger is connected to the crutch (Vertical arm coming out of the top center of the back plate). I beleve this would be a pin with a head on it that fits in the keyhole slot of the hanger.  Start the pendulum and listen for the tick tock.  If it goes tick....tock....tick....tock it is in beat.  If it goes tick..tock.....tick..tock, it is out of beat and will stop.  To correct this and get it back in beat, gently move the crutch left or right past the area in which you feel it stop.  You might have to try this a few times to geet it into beat.  Try this and let me know if it works as soon as you can.  I have some other ideas, and might still have access when you get back.  If not, I have a series of steps I have written that I can send to you when I return to my shop on Monday.

John Newman

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)