Clocks, Watches/Hermle wall clock

Question
I have a five year old Hermle wall clock that runs on two c batteries. The chimes and pendulum work fine but the hands don't move. Do I need to replace the whole movement and if so can you advise as to what parts I need  and where can I get them?  The only info I could find on the back of the movement is "quartz 2214". Thanks for your help.

Answer
Allen, the quartz chiming pendulum movements use different circuits for the running, chime/strike and pendulum.  When one of these fails the circuits have to be diagnosed individually.  Due to the fact that the manufacturers do not supply diagnostic diagrams or parts, it is all but impossible to repair one of these units at an economical shop rate.  They are basically known as throwaway movements.  Hermle is discontinuing the 22XX series of movements, but there are a couple of "good news" options. Some suppliers still have them in stock.  I think I have some, but am keeping most of them for warranty replacements.  I will check and verify the part numbers for the different melody options.  I will then check with the suppliers I use and see if they have any left in stock and let you know.  The other option is to substitute for another brand of movement with the same features.  The one I am using now is known as the Quad and the chimes have a sound the quality of cathedral chimes for about the same price.  I will get back with you with some information when I return to my shop Monday.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Vintage Emperor Clocks Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

I checked the Timesavers catalog and they list a Hermle 2214 Westminster/Bim-Bam movement.  The one with the 5/8" handshaft length is P/N 29952 and the 3/4" handshaft length is P/N 18933.  They can be found by Googling "Timesavers clock supplies", or calling 1.800.552.1520.

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman