Clocks, Watches/Quartz Anniversary Clock Pendulum

Clock Back
Clock Back  
Clock Front
Clock Front  

The pendulum of the Junghans Quartz 85 Anniversary Clock (circa 1990) will not continue to revolve.  After I move the clock (pick it up and put it in a different place), it will rotate a few times slowing to a stop.  I inserted a new battery, even though the clock was keeping accurate time and didn't need one.  I have tried to remove the screws to get off the back and I think the screws are not even real.  I think they could be molded plastic! Do you know if it is possible to remove the back? I'm not sure if the moon rotates. There is a lever at the top of the movement.  I centered the moon's face on 23.  Is that the correct way to set the date?  What do you think I need to do to get the pendulum revolving again?

Thank you

ANSWER: Yes, the back cover comes off and the screws look real to me. It has been several years since I have worked on one of these so I don't remember all the details.
Look under the base of the clock and see if there is a different movement that drives the pendulum from below.
Let me know what you find.
clock parts and repair

Clock bottom
Clock bottom  

Close up of clock back
Close up of clock back  
QUESTION: Under the base is open.  Attached is a photo of the base.  There is a nut holding the pendulum.  I also took a close-up photo of the area just above the pendulum.  There is a screw.  Does it have anything to do with getting the pendulum to revolve?

The whole clock is plastic, except for the brass and glass case.  If I try any harder to unscrew the back screws of the works, I am afraid I will break it.  There is nothing to stabilize the face; it is only connected to the base.  The pendulum does not work, but the clock does keep time.

Since I cannot get the back off, do you think we cannot solve this?

Thank you

The parts that drive the pendulum are inside the clock case so you will need to get the back cover off if you are going to repair it. The mechanism that drives the hands also drives the pendulum so the good news is that the movement is working.
If the screws are not real then the back cover should just be snapped on.
I honestly don't remember exactly how the movement drives the pendulum. There are a few different designs but the Quartz 85 is a very common one. I would need to see inside to tell you what is causing the problem.
clock parts and repair

Clocks, Watches

Michael Radi

Clock repair and clock parts questions.

I have been professionally repairing clocks for 17 years. I owned and ran a clock shop for 6 years and I am the owner of the clock parts supply company;

National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

High school graduate, some college, graduate of Niles Bryant School of Piano Tuning and repair.

I perform about 20 clock repairs per week.