Clocks, Watches/Seth Thomas Mantle Clock 1988

Question
Hello. For some reason the westminster chiming function will not stop. It's continuous and irregular. Timing function works fine. Can only stop the chimes with the stop bar. Any ideas?

Answer
Wayne, there can be a few causes of the chiming problem with your clock.  The most common are synchronization of the warning and stop functions or a broken part such as a tab or pin on the warning wheel.  This is all internal to the movement and would require the services of a clockmaker to evaluate by having it in hand.  Sometimes gummy lubricant or lack of it will cause certain levers not to drop into place.  If the clock hasn't been serviced in the last 7 to 10 years, it might be time to have it checked.  Sorry I cannot help you more.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman