Clocks, Watches/Seth Thomas Mantle Clock 1988

Hello. For some reason the westminster chiming function will not stop. It's continuous and irregular. Timing function works fine. Can only stop the chimes with the stop bar. Any ideas?

Wayne, there can be a few causes of the chiming problem with your clock.  The most common are synchronization of the warning and stop functions or a broken part such as a tab or pin on the warning wheel.  This is all internal to the movement and would require the services of a clockmaker to evaluate by having it in hand.  Sometimes gummy lubricant or lack of it will cause certain levers not to drop into place.  If the clock hasn't been serviced in the last 7 to 10 years, it might be time to have it checked.  Sorry I cannot help you more.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)