Clocks, Watches/Jauch 77

Question
Hi
 I have been searching for information on the proper setting of the position of the snail on a recently rebuilt clock. I know that Jauch 77 info is very hard to find and wondered if you might answer this for me.
 I have the clock all assembled after a thourgh cleaning and re-bushing. It is running fine. The chime side Chime side is working fine and the strike side runs fine also but as the snail has a square shaft I'm wondering how to determine if it is in the proper position?
Is it possible to be 1/4 turn off and still have it run?
The symptom I have is ocassionally the strike side will stop mid sequence and lock this then will cause the clock to stop. At this time the chime side also becomes locked. Only by unlocking the strike side by fiddling with it and allowing it to complete will everything reset and run again.
 It seems to be all assembled and timed properly except I'm questioning a what point should the snail be stopped in the strike sequence. On first attempt the strike stopped in mid strike so I knew it was wrong. As I attempted to relocate it the chime ran and stopped so I placed the snail on the shaft in the stopped position. I need to know if this is what is wrong and how to determine the correct placement position.
         Thank you in advance
         Sterling Hayden
         "Yankee Tinker"

Answer
Sterling, the questions you have concerning the repair of a clock are covered in basic clock repair instruction of which one should become familiar with before getting to far in attempting repair.  I will try to answer some of your questions so you can get the clock functioning. First, most clock movements are very similar in operation, and after working on a few one can determine the small differences.  The Jauch 77 design is very similar to modern production movements. The snail is on the hour tube and it has  no square arbor (shaft). The hour tube is geared to the center shaft through an intermediate wheel.  The center shaft has a square end and the minute hand has to be positioned on it so it is pointing to the hour when the strike takes place, and has to be synchronized with the star cam on it that trips the chime function on the quarters.  The hour tube/snail has to be synchronized so that when the hour chime completes its function the rack tail is dropped on the snail at the proper location.  Again in your last paragraph you are asking in what position the snail should be stopped in the strike position.   Of course the most critical position is on the 12 because of the small clearance on that segment.  When the strike sequence starts, the rack tail starts lifting, the snail has done its job and has no affect on the remainder of the strike.

I don't understand the reason for the strike to stop before completing its function.  As far as I can determine from your description, the minute hand on the square and the position of the snail would not have anything to do with a mid-strike failure. You are correct in that the chime is locked while the strike is in running position.  This is normal.  

If you can send me a clear photo of the front of the movement when it fails, I might be able to see something.  My shop email address is below.

Also, if you are planning on pursuing clock repair, I would suggest you obtain some clock repair books.  Steven Conover has published a very good series of clock repair books starting with "Clock Repair Basics", and then "Clock Repair Skills" and "Chime Clock Repair".  Google "Clockmakers Newsletter" and you will find the complete series described.  Conover does a very good job in instruction, illustrations and photos.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Vintage Emperor Clocks Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)

klokdok@juno.com

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman