Clocks, Watches/mainspring

Question
I have a steeple clock from New England Clock co. The movement,I believe, is Urgos UW 16/60. When I was winding the clock, I heard the spring snap. The key now moves freely. There is no wind up tension. I removed the barrel containing the spring and removed the cover. The spring has a hole in it at the end of the spring. There is a round piece which the key goes into to wind the spring. It has a small nub on it which I believe used to engage the hole but it seems too short. Could that piece be broken. What is that piece called? If I could find it online maybe I could replace it. Am I missing something. Everything else seems fine but that's from a laymans eyes. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Answer
James, I am reluctant to give advice on mainsprings, because of the danger of injury if they get out of hand when handling them.  However, you seem to have done a good job of getting it out.  The barrel houses a mainspring with two hole ends.  Sometimes the end of the mainspring on the inside becomes deformed when the ratchet click malfunctions and the mainspring jumps backwards.  It is one of the more difficult jobs in clockmaking to form the inside loop so it will catch on the "nub", or hook.  The nub is usuall small so it doesn't protrude to the next coil of the spring.  They usually don't go bad.  If the arbor (shaft) is defective, it would not available from suppliers stock, but a clockmaker experienced in this work can repair one. It could be that the hole in the mainspring has cracked or deformed and will not catch.  Then it is time for a new mainspring. This Urgos movement is not made anymore.  Urgos went out of business many years ago.  Hermle bought their stock and some tooling and manufactures some of the grandfather movements only.  If you measure the thickness (to the ten thousandths of an inch, like .0165"), width and length of the mainspring, it is possible that one of the suppliers could stock it.  If you think that is what it might be, get those dimensions and send them to me and I will see if I can find a supplier that has one. There are other things to check when replacing mainsprings, such as if the spring did let go, look for damage to the teeth of the barrel, the teeth of the pinion and signs of wear on the next arbor.  Also check to see if the click and click spring holding the barrel ratchet are functioning properly.  Look forward to hearing back from you.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman